...is waking up the fire that burns within you and deciding to see what you are truly made of....it's more than the drive to succeed its, the desire to not be content with your second best.
I've seen you all do some amazing things since you joined this cross country team. I've seen each of you step up to the line as freshman and I've seen many of you improve by leaps and bounds during your time under the guidance of the Morton cross country team. This Friday though, you are about to come up against another test of your skills and your will to succeed. For some of you it may be the last time you lace up your shoes to race, for others it may be the beginning of another journey with running. So many kids say they love the sports they play and some truly do but you're not all that sure...yeah they're smiling while they do it but you're never sure. With you guys and gals though...it's not a question in my mind. I see the love of the sport in the frown on your face as you cross the finish line because you know there was more left....I've seen it in the look of determination as time and again the team has met for a extra practice run...I've also seen it though in the way you run. The way a man or woman will go a little harder in a practice to push themselves a little harder and instead of dropping their practice group, 1, 2, maybe even 7 runners dig and give the extra push...most powerfully I've seen it on the last couple miles of a harder run when the pack strings out and as the group pairs off with man dueling man (ladies I've never run with you during this part but I will assume it's the same for argument's sake), and as you come to the last straight you are pushing your body to it's psychological limit not necessarily sprinting but testing yourself...it is there as you come to a stop and look at your friend...there in THAT moment as you congratulate one another you KNOW...
that's loving your sport boy and girls...that is what it means to strive for your best. You have all chosen to do your best by being your best. Conference is not the end for a single one of you: be you a senior runner who swears they'll never run again, a freshman-junior who'll be back next year, or a varsity runner who has a whole lot left to do...you're not done. If running represents anything in life it's that if you work hard you can accomplish great things.
Never stop running...never stop striving to be your best...never say, "I can't...." and never EVER say, "I could have tried harder..." because always remember:
The eagle flies at midnight...but you have flown higher and farther than that eagle EVER could!
-Nathan
No comments:
Post a Comment