Monday, May 4, 2009

The Pekin Dagron Invitational - By David Barfolomew Getz

At this time last year, the Potters track team sat on a bus for an hour only to await the decision that the Pekin Invite had been cancelled due to weather. This year, however, was a completely different story. It was a marvelous day for running, and the Distance Guys proved it with their performances.

The first event, as usual, was the 150 meter saunter to the bleachers from the bus, in which nearly the entire track team set a PR. Then came the 4 x 800. Austin Bradford led-off with a solid sub 2:10 effort (2:08? 2:09?) to set a good tone for the race. Dale took the baton next and proceeded to carry it around the track two times. It took him just 2 minutes and 12 seconds to do this (PR, Dale?)! When Dan took the baton, Limestone was just a few seconds ahead. On the backstretch, Dan ran the Rocket down and made him look like a space shuttle just sitting on a launching pad the way he blew by him. After his 2:12 leg (PR also I believe), he handed to Smitty. Smitty brought the crew in at a season best 8:50 and a personal season best 2:15ish split.

The 3200 proved to be dramatic as well, with Joe and Czar Pipes as Morton’s entrants. Joe went out with the lead chase pack (chasing CJ) and went through the mile in 5:04. Pipes led another group through around 5:20. Both were on pace for huge PRs...and they didn’t dissapoint. Joe finished the 8-lap race in a PR of 10:23 (give or take) and Pipes broke 11 minutes with a 10:54 (take or give)! I think that Morton is beginning to strike fear in the hearts of many distance programs throughout the country of central Illinois.

In the 800, JT and Dale raced extremely well. Dale came back from his 2:12 in the 4 x 800 to run a 2:15ish for his second 800 of the day. JT went out with the leaders and hung on for a PR of 2:11. Both runners looked strong throughout the 2-lap crucible (look it up).

In the 1600, Danny and Austin were given to go-ahead by Coach Hodel to run the race. I don’t know whether he told them to dominate the race, but whether he said it or not, that’s what they did. Danny and Austin both took the lead convincingly during the 3rd lap and never looked back. Danny ran a PR of 4:51, and Austin broke 5 easily with a 4:54 effort. Austin becomes the 3rd member of the “Give me a 5 minute mile, or give me death!” club. Who else will join before the year’s over?

That’s all I got. Let’s go cheer on the underclassmen at the Morton Invite today! Go Potters!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay I'm a little confused on the by Dave...but posted by I'm Steve but whatever.

I would like to congratulate all the Morton Distance Runners on quite the show Friday night. I do question though why no one told me there was a secret 150 race at the beginning of every meet. :) I wish all our underclassmen the best of luck tonight and hope to hear great things about your efforts.
-Nathan out

Oh one more thing I would like to congratulate all the runners who have gone sub-5...if i'm not mistaken you are all younger than I was when I first did it. Hip-hip-hooray! for you guys.