Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The 4:30 at 4:30 and State this weekend!

The 4:30 at 4:30!
Ok, just a little more info on the 4:30 at 4:30 for any who are interested. We're going to go at 4:30 tomorrow (Thursday the 28th) because that seemed to be the time that works for the most people. We'll plan on starting at 4:30, so if you're wanting to run, be warmed up and ready to go.

This year, it seems sub5 was the common goal, so that's what we'll be shooting for. The race will be paced for about 4:56-4:58. If you've got more in the tank, then leave us on the last lap!

I (Steve Gifford, not Herbert Philstead) intend to pace at least the first half of the race through 800 meters in about 2:26-2:27. If I think I can hold that pace longer, I'll keep going until 1200 or 1600 meters. No promises though, since I'm not in shape for anything this fast right now. Nonetheless, I've asked Joe Zeller to take over the pacing duties on the third lap if I'm out. The goal, after running through 800 meters in 2:26-2:27, would be to arrive at 1200 in about 3:41-3:43. After that, it's every man for himself in the last 300-400 meters.

There's a small chance I may not get out of work in time for this event. In this case, there will have to be some improvised pacing. Perhaps you can convince Joe Zeller and Dan Ruder to trade laps and take you through 1200 meters. We'll see. In any event, if I can't make it, I hereby appoint Dave Getz in charge of organizing this event.

Anyone who runs a PR or meets their goal of running under 5 minutes gets a hearty congratulations and a high five from me. Anyone who can run the 1600 in 4:30.99 or better gets a free dinner. This is why we are starting at 4:30 PM instead of at 4:59 PM. Anyone who can run it in 4:30.99 or better also gets asked why they didn't run that fast during the season.

The Main Street Mile
A new event in Peoria. On July 9th, at 7:00 PM, a downhill mile on the roads in Peoria. It starts at Running Central, goes down Main Street, and ends downtown. This sounds like an awesomely fun event, and a great way to claim a quick mile time, even if you can't count it as a real PR. That is, if you can run down that hill without falling on your face!

State This Weekend.
The State Meet starts tomorrow, and runs three days, with all the finals on Saturday, the 30th. It's in Charleston, Il, which is about a two and a half hour drive from here. I intend on going. I'll have a few seats in my car if anyone else wants to join me. It will pretty much be an all day thing since the meet runs about 6-7 hours, plus driving. We'll be leaving probably between 7 and 8 AM, and getting back around 6:30-7:30 PM.

If anyone is interested in joining me, let me know, make sure it's OK with the parents, and we'll start to work out details. You'll need $10 for tickets, some money for meals, and whatever you would need to sit under the sun in bleachers all day, such as hat, waterbottle, sunscreen etc.

Another Race:
Oh, and one other new event the Potters should participate in next year. Does that not look awesome?!

No comments: