Hey guys, it's Quentin. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a sophomore runner, and I've been following this blog for quite some time! It's my first ever post, so bear with me, and I'll try to recap the day the best I can! So lets begin..
The Beginning:
At 6:35 on a Saturday morning, not many high school kids are awake. But this wasn't the scene with the Morton XC team. Spirits were high, with anticipation of the races to come.
The Start:
The Girls Vars. race was first in the line up, and it was a blast to watch 'em race. Ashley and Kaitlin Pribble brought another strong finish, with Ashley coming in 2nd overall and Kaitlin in 7th. The rest of the Vars. Girls stayed strong throughout with the team staying close and coming in 6th overall.
Up 2nd, the Guys Vars. race was a thing to see. Joe, Pipe, and Bradford stayed tight at the start, with the rest of the top 7 passing in a flash. At the 2 mile mark, the Vars. Guys proved strong, staying within 2 minutes of each other. In the end, 'The Big 3' pulled out victorious, with Bradford finishing 23rd, Joe finishing 15th, and Pipe around 10th. The Guys team brought home the 3rd place trophey for the 2nd year in a row as well!
For the Fresh/Soph girls race, I was busy warming up, but I'll fill you in on what I heard and saw about it. The girls started out strong, with new runners Nikki Eigsti and Brooke Goodyear leading the pack. The rest of the freshman girls brought up the pack very well, showing that they are a team that is going to be hard to beat this season. The girls team got 8th overall.
The Guys Fresh/Soph race filled in the final race of the day, with some goals to be fulfilled. Walter Jankowski led this pack, proving to be a strong leader and future varsity runner. Walter finished 20th overall, medaling for the 2nd year in a row. From my vantage point during this race, I saw a lot of pressure to each other from fellow Morton teammates, causing everyone to get low times, and quite a lot of PR's too. The guys team finished 8th overall.
The After:
The XC team celebrated their amazing races with a cookout at the park after the awards ceremony today. A special shout-out goes to all the parents and coaches who helped organize all the food and the venue! Thanks much!
The Randomness and the Awards:
A few odd occurences happened today, and I feel like you all should know them as well!
- Chica Chica Joe Zellar was skipped during the awards ceremony somehow.
- At about the .3 mark, Isaac Ackerman proved that it is possible to be funny during a race. As he ran by the 2 mile timers and I, he pointed at a competing runner, (who barely came up to his shoulders), and gasped as he went by, marveling at how fast the kid really was.
- The "Rocky" Award goes to Tim Luchtefeld today, who posted a fast time and showed that he is varsity material.
Feel free to leave some feedback! Til next time, Quentin
No comments:
Post a Comment