Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Potters open the season!!

Today, the Potters opened their season against Dunlap and Canton, at Dunlap. The day was pretty cold for track season, and there was a strong headwind coming down the finishing straightaway. But it wasn't just there when you ran the straightaway into the finish....it was there for each lap!

The Potters looked good in the 4x800 with several runners in the 2:16-2:19 range. I know I'll probably miss a few names, but between the 4x800 and the 800, I believe Nathan Smith, Austin Bradford, Jordan Thomas, Dan Getz and Nick Piper all broke 2:20. A big improvement for the Potters as I believe only one guy broke 2:20 in the first 2-3 meets for the Potters last year.

Next up was the 3200, where Joe Zeller and Dan Ruder (sp?) were in control of the varsity race up front the whole time, with a Canton runner trying to hold on. Dan won in roughly 11:06, with Joe just a few steps behind. Andrew Young, Isaac Ackerman and Adam Geier also ran in the 3200, along with some other folk I don't know. That's right, I just said folk.

In the 800, Nathan Smith used a sit-and-kick approach to pull in 2nd place in the varsity race. Jordan Thomas had a big come from behind finish and gained several spots in the last 200-300 meters. Austin Bradford went out hard for the wire to wire win in the fresh/soph 800, and seemed to be trying to make a statement that he belonged in the varsity race.

In the 1600, it seemed all the Potters ran. Really, like all of them. After the pace lagged in the middle laps, things heated up near 1200 meters, and Joe Zeller rode the blazing finish to end up fourth in around 5:07. Close behind him was Ruder, followed by Piper and Domnick in around 5:12ish. Getz and Bradford were next up in 5:22 and 5:24, and Stuart Heatwole knocked out his first sub 6 minute mile with a 5:53.

The distancemen completed their day when Nathan Smith ran a strong anchor leg on the 4x400. He finished well, and move the Potters from 3rd to 2nd in the race.

All in all, I was impressed. The Potters are looking stronger than ever and improving. But don't take my word for it. Just look at the numbers. 5-6 guys under 2:20, 4 guys under 5:15, and 4x400 that beat another teams varsity sqaud. That's about where they ended the season last year, and now they're just getting started. Actually in some ways its better than they ended it last season. It looks like the Potter distancemen are ready to pick up right where there graduated seniors left off last year. Plus there is a lot of depth to back it up, with guys nipping on the heels of the front few, frosh/soph guys running strong, and big numbers in every event.

Guys, by the end of the season, I think we're going to see a Potter 4x800 relay laughing at the 9 minute mark. How many can we get under 5:00 for the mile? 5 guys? 6? Let's see what you got.

Just don't forget that the rest of the Mid-Illini is thinking the same way. Dunlaps top two distance guys looked strong, especially their top guy. Canton's top man looked good as well. I would say at this point it appeared Morton had the advantage of depth, which is a nice turnaround from last season. That's what happens when you get a group of excited cross country runners out there.

Let's use that advantage guys. Master your events. Know them. See them in your sleep. Recite the race in your head while you walk. Imagine you're racing when you walk in the halls of the school. Elbow people. Pass them. Give them the eyeball that says 'you just got owned.' In general, just be kind of creepy guys who obsess about their races.

Ok, was that kind of over the top?


Oh, and if anyone's reading, you'd better start commenting...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I shall be the first one to comment!

Seriously though, great job guys...way to run...way to be strategic...oh and way to send me you times like i asked (i felt like i was part of the action while sitting in a chair).

Women: I think we need to assign a girl to start sending me times at least. (Y'all have my number so send 'em over. I won't put my cell # online though because that's asking for trouble)