Friday, March 27, 2009

Rolling over to Carper

So I decided to check out the Morton Distance Team today along with fellow Creator Ben....something need to be seen with your own eyes.

Well I have to say it was quite the adventure. First off the guys look well and seemed eager to get that 1st race of the season behind them. I decided to first see if it would be okay with their coach if I stayed to watch them practice and maybe run a few with them. Coach Hodel was more than willing to let me and I had a fun time. After running three 400's with the team I decided I was shot (my legs are prepped for 1/2 Marathon speed, not Smitty speed). Ben trudged on to get an inside look at the team from within the Peloton.

Here's what I discovered:

We have some new guys and some veterans to the track, basically the guys that should have been out there years ago like Dale, Dan, and Andrew finally laced up. And we had returning runners Smitty, Joe, JT, Piper, and Bradford (I didn't actually run with Bradford but I've talked to him so it kinda counts). There were also two guys I didn't talk to: Marks and Danny but they both seem like good runners. The team seems to know what it's about and is ready to conquer the track and show why Morton decided to hire a distance coach (nothing wrong with Steve, the school district just has been a little slow in actually hiring). This is in my opinion a big step for Morton spring sports, hiring finally so that the seniors don't have to attempt to worry about racing and coaching.

The guys seem to all have a good sense of what they're about and are learning what they need to know on a sub-conscious level. That being: this hurts...this is smooth....if I control my stride i get more power...and my favorite: this is what a [insert time] pace feels like.

The guys are ready...Hodel is coaching....Ben and I witnessed it ourselves. Morton may just have a track team this year.

[Side note]

A special congratulations to our female runners who had their first meet yesterday. I hear great things coming down the horn.

Grace Jankowski with a wicked fast 1600- 5:48
Pribble with a 3200- 12:06.9

Congrats to the ladies and I hope you have a great season.

No comments: