So it has come and passed....Conference the place to show how far we've come. But what actually happened, what is there to say? Honestly i don't have any times for sure, so i'll wing it and we'll try to get the results commented on at a later date.
Let's start at the Beginning: Long ago the race began...fast forward to October 17th, Location: Detweiller Park, more specifically on a line painted in the sand (possibly covered by grass)
The girls were ready to roll and i was pumped to watch as i had heard much about the team yet hadn't witnessed them race in over a month (i blame this on the institution they call college). Anyways i got there just in time to see the smoke and witness the impending glory. I comment first off that i think i at least recognize the Morton singlets now. So the start seemed to go well, with the cheers and beautiful weather setting the stage for quite a race. I'm not going to try to say the order of people as i'm afraid i'll mess up, but i remember we had our legal representation leading the way: Pribble, Pribble, and Jankowski. I shall say that they looked strong. I think i yelled, and the girls had no clue who this crazy guy yelling for Morton was. But i was the one yelling "keep the pace even" "okay maintain pace in middle mile" and "Go Morton". I shall discuss the outcome of the race in a sec.
The boys race...a few runners even looked familiar, except they seem to be getting around the course a little faster than the ones i used to know. They also had race conditions that make the race fast and the specators shake. I know a bit more about these guys and yelled all the louder for it, though this doesn't mean i like them more. So we had a Mr. Joe go out strong and the leaders of the guy's race (particularly Van Fossen) pulled the pace to around 4:55 at the mile. (i know this because i found my watch in my duffel bag at this point) Not to be out done, the Morton team got Joe and Marksy out strong with a crazy tight pack on his heels. I think this was Bradford with a couple feet on Meyer, Dale, Smitty, and Pipes. (order was fluid so i don't want anyone to complain if they feel they were ahead) Then we had a bunch of other guys, my brother included who were racing pretty strongly. I have no clue on order though as i can't remember that much information at one time (i am working on remedying this problem). So i think i yelled many things at the guys: "maintain contact" "all of Morton get your butts up with Bradford" "you know what to do in the triangle" and again a few "Go Morton!" for good measure. Now out of the triangle i think we had Joe ready to start his chase, Marksy showed the drive to get the job done, and a tight (fluid) pack of men passing a few guys. Now i admit that i may have run to the back straight and yelled AT the men, but i still caught the finish too.
WHAT HAPPENED
The girls finished quite strongly from what i could tell, but in steve's words the other teams got the "low sticks" or better places in my language. The result was a 4th place finish, and a darn good race from my humble perspective.
The men finished with a few sprints and once again the low sticks hurt them, though a strong pack like we had is essential in my opinion. So they took a 5th place finish.
All-Conference Team- of the Morton Flavor
In the girls corner a Miss Caitlin Pribble and Miss Ashley Pribble
In the boys corner a Mr Joe Zeller and a Mr Jared Marks
So what does this mean?
I don't want to put anyone down, but i want to tell you that i think that it's okay that both teams took a different place then they had predicted. Though i can't speak for Zehr, i know if i was coach i'd rather you guys learn this lesson this year so next year it's not a problem. Simply put: the race isn't won until all your runners have crossed the line. I think some of you may have thought you only had to worry about the teams that beat you, rather it has to be remembered that Cross Country is a fluid sport and everything changes from moment to moment. You all learned a lesson on how every team is a potential threat. Next year you'll probably beat almost every team in the conference (the almost should be taken as written in disappearing ink)
So i wish you the best of luck at regionals, and make this week count!
2 comments:
MEDIUM-LENGTH COMMENT ATTACK!
I'm still proud of all you guys. Guys, don't take this 5th place finish as a stumbling block, but rather as a stepping stone for next year.
Girls, the way the Mid-Illini is looking on the girls' side, a fourth place finish is very impressive.
Guys and girls, you still have two races to run this year (that's right...TWO), so don't think the job's done. I can't wait for you guys to head my way next Saturday. I'm going to be there cheering up a storm, so give me something to cheer about!
*Note:
I edited the blog post to reflect more factual materail, as outlined by steve. I send my sincerest apologies to Ashley and Jared. I meant no disrespect to you or your achievements i simply had a writer's oversight.
Your friend,
Nathan
Post a Comment